Thursday, October 28, 2010

Post from greshambouma at CHUM.LY

Federal Funding in Education
Controlling federal funding is well beyond the scope of a state senator, and I am fully aware of this fact. Apparently I indicated in a newspaper interview over five months ago that I was opposed to our schools receiving any federal funding. That overstates my position. This statement is now being used to play 'gotcha' in an effort to color public perception on my views regarding education. Federal control concerns me greatly, because when the decision-making process is far removed from the communities involved, the effects of bad policy decisions become difficult to adjust or correct. My other grave concern is we have developed a deadly dependency on federal funding. When the "austerity measures" hit our continent, how will we cope? My campaign has not focused on eliminating the Dept. of Education. What I have focused attention on is positioning Idaho to survive when much of the loose federal spending has to be reigned in. Anyone willing to look at the volumes I have written on my website and blog will see that I desire genuine improvement in education. And a honest look at the education systems throughout the country will support the premise that more funding is not the answer. We need key reforms to help local communities meet the educational needs of their students, with more parental control and involvement and less federal mandate. When government decisions are moved closer to the people, it gives accountability and transparency a fighting chance. http://chum.ly/n/3fbf02

No comments: